Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Great Crate Caper


As you can probably guess by my shop, I have a weakness for all things vintage. I confess to losing quite a few hours getting lost in all the great vintage shops on etsy and poppytalk.

One of the most useful trends happening now, is the growing infatuation with vintage crates. The primitive almost earthy look to them seems to work with all but the most formal home decor. Both the soda & milk crates in particular lend themselves to so many clever uses. With so many great colors on crates it's fairly easy to find one to match your look.

I have a few ideas to share with you.

Storage.. the deeper crates are great for toys & books

Divide & conquer... some of the many storage needs in the studio, office, kitchen.

One of my favorite uses for the divided crate is to use them in the kitchen as a spice rack.


Serving ..used as a tray, it sets a casual mood, that says, let's hang out & enjoy ourselves.


Need more ideas..

Cityvintage, another sweet etsy seller has an interesting vintage DIY listing on
CONVERTING BOXES and MILK CRATES ...




Do you have other ideas on how to use crates?
I'd love you to share them here with all of us.  If you need help with sharing the photos, just give me a shout.

I'm Hooked on these crates..so we're heading over to Julia's Hooked on Blog party...join us!


<3

Sue

10 comments:

Nancy said...

Those soda crates are wonderful. I remember when our family took a trip we each carried an empty coke bottle. When we stopped at the "filling station" to get gas we bought a coke and left our empty bottles.

Anonymous said...

Great ideas! I love seeing things reused in creative ways for things other than their intended purpose. Have a great weekend!
pk @ room remix

Leanne said...

I love all your crates. The colors, texture and wear on them are just perfect. Great ideas for storage uses too. They look great!

blushing rose said...

Wonderful ideas ... not thought of these. Have a great weekend. TTFN ~ Marydon

ethanollie said...

love the crate as spice rack idea

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Very cute ideas here!

xo,
cristin @ simplified bee

solsticehome said...

Thank you everyone..I'm always looking for creative ways to use items. Don't forget to share some of yours.

Stephanie said...

Love seeing these vintage items. I love boxes and those wooden crates are wonderful.

Cookie Cutter said...

I LOVE vintage crates and have been eyeing them! It's my constant lament that it's so tough to find vintage stuff over here. I visited your etsy shop and absolutely loved it!

Thanks for visiting me at my blog :)

Aprons Gone Wild said...

Well Hello there!
Nice to know a fellow Cape Codder and fellow etsian, as well! I love your shop. I adore all things vintage...the older the better. I'm fairly new to blogging but I'm finding it so very interesting to touch base with people who share my interests.
I have a particular fondness for old boxes and crates, so I took note of your post on that topic. I stand them on edge and use them for shelves, etc. in small places where I want to display some of my pottery, or books, etc.
Please keep in touch. Maybe one of these days we can have the opportunity to meet.
Best regards,
Joanne

Related Posts with Thumbnails